- Social Responsibility
- Social Responsibility
- Our Giving
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Be The First Tobacco-Free Generation
- Community Stories
- Thought Leadership
- Search Jobs
- Investor Story
- Results Center
- 2017 In Review
- Financial Information
- SEC Filings
- Events & Presentations
- Stock Information
- Corporate Governance
- Investor Resources
CVS/pharmacy and CVS Caremark Charitable Trust Continue to Support Communities Affected by Hurricane Sandy
Friday, November 9, 2012
WOONSOCKET, R.I., Nov. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- As communities in New Jersey and New York continue to recover from Hurricane Sandy, CVS/pharmacy has re-opened nearly all of its stores in affected areas and is assisting with local disaster relief efforts.
Access to Stores
More than 1,200 CVS/pharmacy locations have reopened since the storm struck the East Coast and CVS is using generators in about 60 stores located in areas that are still experiencing power outages. Only 16 stores remain closed due to water or wind damage.
In two of the hardest-hit areas in which CVS/pharmacy stores will remain closed for an extended period of time, the Company will operate mobile pharmacies at the sites of the closed stores in order to ensure that these communities will continue to have access to their prescribed medications. CVS/pharmacy is now operating a mobile pharmacy at the site of its closed store at 9301 Ventnor Avenue in Margate City, NJ. Next week, CVS/pharmacy will begin operating a second mobile pharmacy at the site of its closed store at 88-07 Rockaway Beach Boulevard in Rockaway Beach, NY.
"CVS/pharmacy is committed to ensuring that the communities we serve have access to pharmacy services and our colleagues have worked incredibly hard to reopen nearly all of our pharmacies," said Mark Cosby, President of CVS/pharmacy. "By using generators and mobile pharmacies to serve the areas most affected by the hurricane, we are well-positioned to aid in the recovery efforts in these communities."
Supporting Relief Efforts
Following last week's more than $100,000 donation through the CVS Caremark Charitable Trust and CVS/pharmacy to disaster relief organizations, an additional $100,000 has been donated to the ongoing recovery efforts in New Jersey and New York.
This support includes:
- $55,000 from the CVS Caremark Charitable Trust to organizations including: Direct Relief, the Rebuild Hoboken Relief Fund, Jewish Family Services of Atlantic County in Margate, NJ and the Siller Tunnels to Towers Foundation in Staten Island.
- $30,000 in product donations from CVS/pharmacy delivered by local CVS store teams to the Miller Field relief site in Staten Island, the Breezy Point/Rockaway Point (NY) Community Recovery Effort, the Hillside (NJ) Police Department's Comfort Station, the Roselle (NJ) Senior Citizen Housing Corporation, the USO to support more than 7,000 troops providing assistance at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, the Richmand Ave. Shelter in Staten Island via State Senator Andrew Lanza's office, and Manasquan (NJ) Area Churches.
- On-site support through MinuteClinic volunteer assistance for patients at a Staten Island shelter and pharmacist support of Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres to facilitate prescriptions for patients in need.
CVS Caremark also continues to support its employees who have been affected by the hurricane through the CVS Caremark Employee Relief Fund, which provides short-term, immediate financial relief to employees who've suffered significant hardship as a result of a natural disaster, family death, medical emergency or other unforeseen events.
The Company is also offering patients who have CVS Caremark as their pharmacy benefit manager additional assistance in accessing their prescription medications following Hurricane Sandy through the company's PBM customer care team at 1-800-552-8159.
CVS/pharmacy, the retail division of CVS Caremark Corporation (NYSE: CVS), is America's leading retail pharmacy with 7,400 CVS/pharmacy and Longs Drug stores. CVS/pharmacy is reinventing pharmacy to help people on their path to better health by providing the most accessible and personalized expertise, both in its stores and online at CVS.com. General information about CVS/pharmacy and CVS Caremark is available at info.cvscaremark.com.
About the CVS Caremark Charitable Trust
The CVS Caremark Charitable Trust, Inc. is a private foundation created by CVS Caremark Corporation (NYSE: CVS), the largest provider of prescriptions in the nation. The Trust's mission is to provide funding for health care, education and community involvement initiatives in the communities where it does business. General information about CVS Caremark is available at www.cvscaremark.com.