- Social Responsibility
- Social Responsibility
- Our Giving
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Be The First Tobacco-Free Generation
- Community Stories
- Thought Leadership
- Search Jobs
- Investor Story
- Results Center
- 2017 In Review
- Financial Information
- SEC Filings
- Events & Presentations
- Stock Information
- Corporate Governance
- Investor Resources
CVS Pharmacy Supports Customers and Patients, Prepares Stores as Hurricane Matthew Approaches Southeast
Thursday, October 6, 2016
WOONSOCKET, R.I., Oct. 6, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- As Hurricane Matthew nears the coast of Florida and the Southeast, CVS Pharmacy, the retail division of CVS Health (NYSE: CVS), is reminding patients to make sure they have taken care of their prescription needs before the storm hits. In addition, CVS Pharmacy is moving generators into these areas and stocking stores with emergency items, such as bottled water, batteries, flashlights and first aid supplies.
"In light of the weather advisories and evacuation orders now in effect in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina, CVS Pharmacy is working hard to ensure that our customers have the medications they need to ride out the storm safely," said Kevin Hourican, Executive Vice President, Retail Pharmacy and Supply Chain for CVS Health. "To help facilitate this, we have been working with insurers to allow for early refills in certain cases and since the storm warnings have begun, we have been reaching out to our pharmacy patients via text message and email where possible to remind them to refill prescriptions in advance of the hurricane."
Patients who live in areas that are expected to be affected by the storm, and who have opted in to CVS Pharmacy's automated notification programs, may receive automated phone calls, text messages, and mobile app notifications, depending on the status of their current prescriptions. These messages can help patients in several ways, including letting them know when their prescription is ready to be picked up, reminding them that their prescription is ready to be refilled, and informing patients where they can pick up their medications during emergency situations such as Hurricane Matthew.
"In addition, through CVS Caremark, our pharmacy benefit management company, we have activated a process that allows us to provide one-time emergency refills of a 10-day supply of medication for plan members impacted in the areas affected by Hurricane Matthew," Hourican added.
When preparing for a hurricane, CVS Pharmacy offers customers the following tips:
- Create a plan for evacuating and finding a safe destination.
- Store all of your medications, along with a written record of your current prescriptions, in a waterproof container and keep it with you at all times. This is especially important if you take multiple prescriptions. Medical equipment, batteries or power cords, eyeglasses and hearing aids are important to keep with you as well.
- In the event of an emergency when you are away from home, find a pharmacy nearby to fill necessary prescriptions. CVS Pharmacy can fill its customers' prescriptions at any of its 9,600 locations nationwide, including CVS Pharmacy inside Target locations.
- Create an emergency kit before the storm hits and make sure you have all essentials in case of power outages. Your local CVS Pharmacy carries all of the critical items needed including bottled water, masking tape, flashlights and batteries.
- For a full list of tips on being prepared for a hurricane, visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency's website, https://www.ready.gov/hurricanes.
To find a CVS Pharmacy near you, visit the store locator at http://www.cvs.com/.
Following the storm, CVS Pharmacy is also prepared to assist with hurricane recovery efforts in impacted communities, by planning for water and ice donation events at area stores and keeping in close contact with first responders to offer support in affected areas as needed in the coming days and weeks.
About CVS Pharmacy
CVS Pharmacy, the retail division of CVS Health (NYSE: CVS), is America's leading retail pharmacy with over 9,600 locations. It is the first national pharmacy to end the sale of tobacco and the first pharmacy in the nation to receive the Community Pharmacy accreditation from URAC, the leading health care accreditation organization that establishes quality standards for the health care industry. CVS Pharmacy is reinventing pharmacy to help people on their path to better health by providing the most accessible and personalized expertise, both in its stores and online at CVS.com. General information about CVS Pharmacy and CVS Health is available at www.cvshealth.com.
SOURCE CVS Pharmacy