WOONSOCKET, R.I., Feb. 10, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --CVS Health (NYSE:CVS) is offering Meningitis B vaccines to people living in Santa Clara County, CA, in response to confirmed cases of Meningitis B on the Santa Clara University campus. CVS Pharmacy stores and MinuteClinic walk-in medical clinics have vaccines available to protect patients against the disease. Students at Santa Clara University who have not been vaccinated are encouraged to get vaccinated. In addition, anyone who has had close contact with a person who has been diagnosed with a meningococcal illness, as well as faculty and staff who have conditions such as asplenia, a complement deficiency, or sickle cell anemia, should also receive the vaccine.
Vaccination is the most effective way to protect people from meningococcal infection and CVS Pharmacy and MinuteClinic will be offering the vaccine at the following locations1:
- CVS Pharmacy, 855 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA
- CVS Pharmacy, 325 Sharon Park Drive, Menlo Park, CA
- CVS Pharmacy, 352 University Avenue, Palo Alto, CA
- CVS Pharmacy, 700 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, CA
- CVS Pharmacy, 2701 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto, CA
- CVS Pharmacy, 821 The Alameda, San Jose, CA
- CVS Pharmacy, 3081 Stevens Creek Blvd, Santa Clara, CA
- CVS Pharmacy, 1820 West Verdugo Avenue, Burbank, CA
- CVS Pharmacy, 4110 North First Street, San Jose, CA
- CVS Pharmacy and MinuteClinic, 2700 Homestead Road, Santa Clara, CA
- MinuteClinic (inside CVS Pharmacy), 2630 West El Camino Real, Mountain View, CA
- MinuteClinic (inside CVS Pharmacy), 576 East El Camino Real, Sunnyvale, CA
- MinuteClinic (inside CVS Pharmacy), 1720 South Bascom Avenue, Campbell, CA
- MinuteClinic (inside CVS Pharmacy), 1871 El Camino Real, Burlingame, CA
- MinuteClinic (inside CVS Pharmacy),2514 Berryessa Road, San Jose, CA
- MinuteClinic (inside CVS Pharmacy), 987 East Hillsdale Boulevard, Foster City, CA
- MinuteClinic (inside CVS Pharmacy), 10455 South De Anza Boulevard, Cupertino, CA
All CVS Pharmacy locations in California can order doses of the vaccine upon request and have it available the next day. Pharmacy and medical clinic staff can assist patients in determining whether the vaccine is covered by their insurance plan.
"Immunizations are an important part of preventive care and a critical way to prevent serious diseases, like Meningitis B," said Dr. Andrew Sussman, Executive Vice President and Associate Chief Medical Officer of CVS Health, and President of CVS MinuteClinic. "Our CVS pharmacists and MinuteClinic nurse practitioners are ready to provide meningitis vaccinations to people living in Santa Clara County now, and can help ensure that patients stay up to date on vaccinations in the future."
In addition, the CVS Pharmacy locations at 855 El Camino Real in Palo Alto and 325 Sharon Drive in Menlo Park will hold Meningitis Clinics from Wednesday, February 10, 2016 to Tuesday, February 16, 2016. Pharmacists will be available to administer the Meningitis B vaccines Monday to Friday from 4pm-8pm and on Saturday and Sunday from 10am-6pm. No appointment is needed. Patients should bring both their health insurance and prescription insurance cards.
The symptoms of meningitis include the sudden onset of fever, headache and stiff neck. Patients may also have nausea, vomiting, confusion and sensitivity to light. The symptoms of septicemia include fatigue, vomiting, diarrhea, cold hands and feet, chills, severe muscle aches, and rapid breathing. A dark purple or red rash may also be present. People with these symptoms should seek urgent medical attention.
About CVS Health
CVS Health is a pharmacy innovation company helping people on their path to better health. Through its approximately 9,600 retail pharmacies, more than 1,100 walk-in medical clinics, a leading pharmacy benefits manager with more than 75 million plan members, a dedicated senior pharmacy care business serving more than one million patients per year, and expanding specialty pharmacy services, the Company enables people, businesses and communities to manage health in more affordable and effective ways. This unique integrated model increases access to quality care, delivers better health outcomes and lowers overall health care costs. Find more information about how CVS Health is shaping the future of health at https://www.cvshealth.com.
TBC (for MinuteClinic)
1 Vaccines are available when an immunizing pharmacist or MinuteClinic nurse practitioner is on duty, while supplies last.
SOURCE CVS Health